Here’s a quick, easy, light summer recipe with lots of flavor! I was surprised how well this one turned out — My husband doesn’t love coconut and certainly won’t normally take a macaroon and even he was sneaking them from the kitchen counter on me. These are also easy to get creative with – add some lemon, add chocolate, add/take away other flavors pretty safely. These stayed soft for us for several days – but be sure to bag them or put them in a container! Gluten free products don’t keep in the air quite the same way as their gluten filled counterparts.
- 1 1/3 shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tables of coconut flour (I use Bob’s Red Mills high fiber coconut flour)
- 3 egg whites, beaten into fluffy clouds
- ½ tsp of raspberry extract
- Get your oven going to 325 degrees F. Making your “batter” will take less time than it will take the oven to warm up, so start there.
- Put all your dry ingredients together: coconut, sugar, coconut flour. Mix, mix.
- Beat your egg whites into fluffy oblivion. Add your raspberry extract to the mix. Beat a little more.
- Mix your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients. Combine thoroughly.
- Take a teaspoon scoop or do what I do and use a dessert spoon from your utensil set and scoop on a cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until nicely browned on the edges. Remove from sheet and cool. Once they cool, the outer edges get firm and the inside stays squishy. Then nom, nom, nom.
Recipe adapted from Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons on Food.com.